I’m not, so not a centrist. I’d like taxes to be increased on the wealthy. I think arrogance, and remorseless self-interest in banks and corporate boardrooms warrants public shaming. I believe in marriage equality. I vote largely based on reproductive-rights issues. I believe in Keynesian economics—gimme high-speed trains, and gimcrack infrastructure. I believe that it’s our moral imperative to keep people fed and sheltered. I’d like the end of America as world cop—a radical downsizing of the defense budget. I’d like to pay teachers like corporate lawyers. I’d like straight-up socialized medicine.
I’ve been posting respectful stuff about Romney and his ueber-gracious concession speech. No doubt, I think privatized Social Security would be madness, but I think you have to give Paul Ryan credit for being the only dude with the guts to bring up the impending trainwreck—putting his career on the line by touching the third rail. It baffles me that nobody gave W credit for the diversity of his cabinet.
We liberals are loathed by the conservative base because we’re so thoroughly sure we’re right. We jawbone about how working-class white people are fucked by the party they vote for, but don’t notice the ugly dismissiveness towards their bedrock beliefs.
I can’t believe we all were aghast at Republicans’ reaction to stimulus—just utterly shocked they’d reject it—and didn’t go, “Well, maybe their sheer hatred for alternative energy is something we shouldn’t pretend they’d just give up because, hey, we’re obviously smarter.”
I think that, whereas Democratic legislators have been uncooperative and persnickety in terms of cooperativeness with the other party, the Republicans have been vicious, ruthless. I think Fox News is a nest of troglodytes. I don’t think this makes it a good idea to relentlessly sneer at the Republican base.
My Twitter feed is full of obnoxious hostility, taunting, vindictiveness. This is Liberalism? Isn’t our creed one of logical rigor, thorough self-questioning, seeking to understand those we disagree with?
Before you respond angrily, please re-read my first paragraph. I’m not saying that to be snarky. I’m saying that because I want you to know where I’m coming from. Whenever I post something pointing out what I think is a logical inconsistency in my fellow Liberals’ thinking, or some modest defense of a Republican, I get a ton of shit. This is so, so weird to me.
Do we want to implement our ideals, or do we want to beat the other team?
- catblossom reblogged this from immutableinscrutable and added:
- catblossom likes this
- penllawen likes this
- aplacek likes this
- lynette-tornatzky likes this
- shinetastical likes this
- mckinneycantspeak likes this
- speyederfarina reblogged this from immutableinscrutable and added:
- speyederfarina likes this
- harpyphoto likes this
- reldnahkram reblogged this from immutableinscrutable
- tylerpage likes this
- wheresmypoolboy likes this
- nadatree likes this
- herestothehalcyon likes this
- madisonarm likes this
- bradfallon likes this
- thekeri likes this
- misaimedjaimes likes this
- mindwide0pen likes this
- happy-go-ugly likes this
- acmesalesrep likes this
- pupsik11 likes this
- thatonedog likes this
- musichistory likes this
- teababe27 likes this
- athenienne likes this
- i-like-my-name-too likes this
- officiousseeingeyebitch- reblogged this from openareas and added:
- cinematicsongsmith reblogged this from tellittoreadersdigest
- dragonfirekai likes this
- tellittoreadersdigest reblogged this from immutableinscrutable
- crimsonandaquamarine likes this
- revolvingdork likes this
- lndrbrntt likes this
- electramoto reblogged this from immutableinscrutable and added:
- electramoto likes this
- monkeysmamabear likes this
- stonehenge1121 reblogged this from immutableinscrutable and added:
- laughingacademy likes this
- stonehenge1121 likes this
- anythingpastorpresent reblogged this from immutableinscrutable and added:
- tomcostello likes this
- endsatlast reblogged this from immutableinscrutable
- soulsistrin likes this
- never-tell-me-the-odds reblogged this from immutableinscrutable
- karlfun reblogged this from immutableinscrutable
- karlfun likes this
- kindasleepy likes this
- groverviolet likes this